On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 9:53:40 AM UTC-4, tbrooke wrote:
> I briefly looked at Whalesong and I was wondering if anyone is using it and
> if it is mature and ready to use. I use Clojurescript and it seems to me that
> Whalesong should be equivalent with the advantage of allowing me to work in
> Racket.

Whalesong has some performance problems, because it tries its best to
faithfully reproduce the stack behavior we know and love. That is,
continuations, composable continuations, etc. But even more so, enabling you to
pause and stop computation, which are things alien to JavaScript. So a lot of
effort goes to stack management. This is something most transpilers to
JavaScript ignore, resulting in much better performance.

In addition, Whalesong optimized for the student-facing aspects of Racket,
rather than the entire language (which is quite large). Therefore, you may run
into unpleasant surprises when you encounter a feature that is useful to you
but not supported.

The best I can say is, give it a try, but don't expect too much. Depending on
your needs, you may be pleasantly satisfied, or deeply unhappy. (-:

Shriram