On 10/21/2016 01:21 AM, 'John Clements' via Racket Users wrote:
> I thought hard about scribble and JSON (and xml, yecch), but I think
> that YAML and sexps are the two viable candidates, and I’m guessing
> that if non-programmers have to edit it, they’ll be less likely to
> botch the YAML one.

If it's a choice between the two then RUN, do not walk, away from YAML
and go for sexps. (XML or JSON would also be OK choices.)

YAML is never the right choice. (In writing this email, I have gone over
it several times toning down my language.)

YAML makes XML look simple, elegant and well-designed. The spec is ~80
pages long. I find it impossible to predict how a YAML processor will
interpret any given input.

You know how Excel guesses whether things are dates or not and messes
things up as a consequence? YAML does that too.

The "spec" vaguely suggests that applications should use regular
expressions to take a guess at what type of information is presented in
a non-explicitly-tagged field. What if there are multiple possible
interpretations? The spec doesn't help you. No, it explicitly disavows
responsibility for such weighty decisions, pointing out that ultimately,
"tag resolution is specific to the application". It's a mess.

There's room for something that does what YAML aims to do, but YAML
isn't it.

Tony