I'm not sure if I understand what you're tying to do correctly, but here's
one way to do it (or one way to do something, at least):

(define (process-list-of-lists list-of-lists)
  (apply map
            (λ args
               (apply max args))
            list-of-lists))
(process-list-of-lists
  `((55 1 2)
    (8 13 7)
    (3 9 42))))
;; returns '(55 13 42)

Of course, you could also use explicit recursion instead of map and apply,
but you don't "overwrite" the result of a previous recursive call in either
case.