On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 09:23:01PM -0500, David Storrs wrote:
> I've been using Emacs as my sole text editor since about 1990.  Things I
> use on a daily basis include:
>
> - Dired mode
> - Org mode
> - iswitchb  (which I think has been obsoleted by something else, but still
> works fine)
> - desktop-save-mode

I use emacs since about 1995, my dot-emacs file started life in 1999,
as a bunch of dirty, misunderstood hacks copied from the net (well, I
already understood some of Scheme at the time which helped a
bit). Modes of particular interests for me:

 - org mode - wonderful stuff, see it in action on y-tube

 - w3m - for browsing certain pages, this one is getting old, I
   contemplated the source code for a while, maybe will look at it
   again

 - mail mode - I use it right now for writing, does good job together
   with color-theme (but I am not reading emails with emacs - I need
   to tame one of the modes first and am very afraid of stuff like
   deleting read emails when I wanted to keep them etc - so for now
   emacs is simply being called from mutt as just an editor)

 - color theme - makes my code look somewhat better, a fruit hanging
   lower that becoming a better software engineer

 - ielm - repl for emacs, helps a lot when I extend my dot-emacs or
   have some quick and dirty piece of oneliner in (e)lisp and desperately
   need to dump it somewhere

 - slime - which is to bread what butter and jam are to Common Lisp
   programming

and last but not least

 - geiser - for editing Scheme and Racket

I have also looked at quack for the same purpose.

Getting used to both modes required some additional reading and
problem solving, but I do not recall what was it. I admit, I could use
Racket more often.

I cannot recomend anything else - I have been too content and too busy
to look for alternatives. And when something does not work, I would
rather spend a day reading docs and trying to write proper elisp
snippet [1] than spend a week evaluating "more engineered" environments.

[1] However, despite all the reading I sometimes feel like some kind
of undereducated magician's apprentice, who casts spell without
reading elisp sources first, and thus might be surprised by what jumps
out of monitor. A realist/pessimist will recognise it is only a matter
of time until I am truly surprised. So far, so good, hehehe.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **