Hi,

I've never been a great programmer although I've done a fair amount of
programming back in the days of C, Pascal, etc.  I think racket is the right
language for me based on expressive power, etc. but I confess it currently
seems like about the worst language for me in terms of "can't see the forest
for the trees".  I am hoping someone out there can recommend a strong editor /
IDE which makes it trivial to collapse blocks of code or otherwise make it a
lot easier to navigate through long racket programs.  Something which would
allow me to look at a program in outline format and then expand/collapse the
outline when I need/don't need to see details.  It's cool (really cool, in
fact) that racket comes with DrRacket - I think that really showcases how
extraordinary racket is. However, it's already apparent that, for me, I need
something to manage / hide the "visual clutter" of scheme with all its parens
and (for lack of a better word) mind-numbing presentation. Maybe, in time, I'll
get personally stronger but I won't get there at all at this rate.

Pascal was probably my favorite language in terms of hiding details.  It
encouraged an "outline" form of program development where I could could create
sub-procedures where I could ignore large blocks of code or even remove them
completely out of sight.  C wasn't so great in this regard.

I am determined to master racket and I am hoping it will be the last
programming language I ever really need to learn (because of its strong
"batteries included" orientation; respectable speed; wide range of application;
and on-going development history).
But I am having a miserable time "reading" it.  Everything sticks out at the
same time for me and I am unable to really focus on top down thinking -- which
is how my mind works.  My visual "recall" is very poor, which contributes to my
problem (I can't remember where things are/ how they are coded if they are not
right in front of me).

I have been out of programming for a long, long time so I really have no idea
what the state of the art is in IDE and programming editors.  I know there
probably is a great environment which does a solid job of supporting racket
development but - MOST OF ALL - makes it trivial to collapse/expand/"disappear"
the majority of program code so I don't have to wade through stuff which
doesn't concern me at the moment.  Other strong IDE/ programming editor
features (e.g., super searching across packages and files) would, of course, be
great but for me I fear it mostly comes down to ability to bundle related
portions of the program together and make them collapse down to a single line.

An open/free sourced IDE which is available on Linux would be best, although I
could consider developing on Mac or (ugh) Windows. I am open to paying money,
but I would prefer to not be under a vendor's thumb.

Maybe EMACS or VIM or even Atom could make me happy -- if I could find the
extensions to handle the collapse/expand and (ideally) strong ability to keep
the parens sorted out.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  I really am embarrassed to be asking this
sort of question but I really don't know how to go forward without some
guidance.

Thanks for any suggestions.