My initial reaction would be to explicitly split “module.rkt” into two pieces:
 — its compile-time code especially an exported parameter a
 — its run-time code, which uses the same parameter
Your client module could then require each piece at the correct phase.

This also ought to work with the .zo files.

I think. Perhaps. — Matthias