In DrRacket I had background expansion on for the longest time until I started
to notice that whenever I would work on my programs it would, well, expand in
the background and take up 100% of one of my cores and the memory would slowly
crawl upwards. A few times it got so bad that DrRacket by itself would occupy
60% of my 8GB of memory, which is *quite* silly. Turning off background
expansion brings the memory usage down to a cool(-ish) 230MB --- 400MB, even
after editing and running my program a number of times.

What's the deal with background expansion ballooning out of control like that?
Do I just need to click on the memory usage button more often? Background
expansion is kind of a neat feature but it's not neat enough to warrant such
incredible memory consumption.