Hi -

(This is a continuation of some discussions I've had on the dev list a couple
years ago.)

We continue to have performance issues stemming from Racket's runtime file
system usage. Hopefully someone can shed some more light on the issues so we
can adjust our usages...

We use a minimal install of Racket because we see a significant increase in
performance over the full installation. It seems like the large source of
performance issues is that Racket will routinely (perhaps during requires?)
grovel over all the files in the pkgs directory -- maybe looking at all the
info.rkt files?  This is very slow (compared to everything else we're doing),
even on a local SSD.

First question: Is there a different way to do this? Perhaps freezing the
package information in place so that file enumeration doesn't have to take
place at runtime?

Also, the minimal install of Racket is missing some features we'd like, for
example "rackunit". But when I install rackunit, my pkgs directory goes from 15
or so packages up to about 120 packages!  So using rackunit at all requires us
to sacrifice most of the performance gain we need...

Is there a way to do minimal installs of packages?  I imagine skipping any gui
elements would cut down the dependencies quite a bit.

Thanks for any help,
Dan