I am working on an ant colony simulation/game/thing.  Right now I'm using
2htdp/universe and 2htdp/image and the racket language.  To represent an ant, I
made a struct with a position, angle, and carrying-food?.  To test the speed of
the simulation I made a new ant with a random angle on every clock tick of big
bang (my world state is a structure that holds a list of ants and various other
things like pheromones, food, etc.).  However, when there were about 250 ants
on the screen, it started to slow down a lot.  Not rendering sped it up
somewhat but not by much.  I was confused by this because in python I had made
a similar simulation with 5000 objects and it didn't seem so slow down very
much.  Is there anyway to make it faster?  Thanks for any help.