On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:43 PM, David Storrs <david.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Jon Zeppieri <zeppi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Use a struct instead of a hash to represent a split.
>

> Oh, are structs faster than hashes?

Can't make a blanket statement, and the best reason to use a struct in
this case has nothing to do with performance; it's simply that the
code wants an associative data structure with a set of labels (keys)
that are known in advance. The keys aren't really data in this case.

Anyhow, on the matter of performance:

First, there's no hashing involved in struct lookup (which is just an
indexed load) or update. That's already a point in the struct's favor.
Struct update does, however, involve a full copy, so overall
performance will depend on just how much data needs to be copied. In
this case, the structs/hashes have only four keys/labels. And
immutable hashes have a more complex representation and a larger
constant-time overhead. So, I would expect structs to perform better
here, but I doubt that the difference is a big deal.