First, it's a really weird experiment.

The whole idea is to have a text/programming-based sprite format that
compiles directly into the binary blobs used by mode-lambda. Given
that sprites all very small, I find it more of a burden than useful to
use an traditional graphics editor. So, apse does stuff like showing
you an animation at different scales and in different palettes while
you are making the sprite.

There's an example in Get Bonus:
https://github.com/get-bonus/get-bonus/blob/master/gb/art.rkt (You
don't need any other files from get-bonus, so you can just use that if
you want.)

Then you run apse on it: racket -l apse/tool -- ../get-bonus/gb/art.rkt

And a window will pop up showing the image (based on the last
expression in the apse submodule.)

The cool(?) part is that when you change the file (i.e. save) then
apse will reload it and you'll see the change. Occasionally there's a
runtime error and you need to restart. Bummer.

Most of the examples in the art file are in a 16 color palette with 3
major colors (A, B, & C) and 4 highlights. They are encoding with
single characters. _ is transparent, $ is black, ! is white, then qwe
are the tints of ABC, asd are the bases of ABC, and zxc are the shades
of ABC. The highlights are fghj. I recommend using emac's overwrite or
artist-mode.

Jay

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Laurent <laurent.ors...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (mostly for Jay, but might be useful to others)
>
> The apse[1] sprite editor sounds like a nice tool, but I couldn't find a way
> to start it. How does it work?
>
> Thanks!
> Laurent
>
> [1] https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/apse

-=[     Jay McCarthy               http://jeapostrophe.github.io    ]=-
-=[ Associate Professor        PLT @ CS @ UMass Lowell     ]=-
-=[ Moses 1:33: And worlds without number have I created; ]=-