Matthias,

> Yes, on rare occasions, Racket programmers need to use the FFI
> to link in C libraries, C developers need to include ASM, and
> so on. But when we can, we should really stick to high-level
> linguistic constructs when possible and available, especially
> when they provide a safer way of doing things.

At that level of abstraction in the discussion, I certainly agree.

However, macros are different because I consider syntax-parse a DSL, not
a general purpose language like Racket, C, or ASM.

I checked my code to see what the unpleasant macros in there are doing.
It's not the standard syntax transformation stuff, which syntax-parse
does very well. I need to transform syntax in place but ALSO extract
information from macros and collect them for re-using it elsewhere.
It's not very different from what #lang scribble/lp2 does when it
puts code blocks both in the module and in the documentation.

In my experience, syntax-parse is not very good for shuffling stuff
around like this. It's very probably not what it was designed for
either.

Konrad.