Recent discussion thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/racket-users/6hn9J-r0Nek

Since we're discussing dotfiles and I missed the previous thread, I'm
going to shamelessly promote my basedir package[1], which provides
functions for conveniently reading/writing config files according to
the XDG base directory specification (eg. in ~/.config/, or similar
directory on Windows) respecting the standard environment variables.
Using the standard also makes it more convenient for a user to have
parts of their configuration in multiple files, eg. having both public
and private components, as well as local and global components, and
have the parts composed together.

Let's not clutter up home directories anymore with one-off config
files or directories.  Let's let them live in a sane and configurable
space. </rant>

[1] http://docs.racket-lang.org/basedir/index.html