On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 12:31:21 -0800 (PST), Zelphir Kaltstahl
<zelphirkaltst...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In practice [custodian-limit-memory] has often prevented stuff from filling
>up all RAM + swap, but I thought it was actually the memory limit and
>nothing can go over it.
>Good to know that this is wrong!
>So it is rather like a "if memory usage is too much after an unknown amount
>of time, then kill the program", instead of "prevent the program from ever
>going over the limit".

Right.  What is needed is a way to limit the size of the heap.  You
can still get into trouble using places because they have separate
heaps [and also a shared heap], but these factors can be dealt with if
any single place heap isn't growable beyond a limit.

George