On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 08:14:30AM -0800, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:

> Anyway, I hope to understand how the Y-combinator works with the help of
> "The Little Schemer", which I am reading currently. I am not at that
> chapter yet. I am taking my time, first thinking through the stuff and
> later typing it into the machine and thinking about it again, sometimes
> noticing some detail when I type the code and sometimes making a little
> experiment with that code. Already on my way through "The Little Schemer" I
> hit some useful procedures, which helped me with a totally unrelated
> problem when coding my blog in Racket. So it's definitely useful.

The Y combinator comes from the original lambda calculus, which was a
formal system for computational logic and it elicidated how bound and
free variables work.

But the system had no built-in mechanism for defining a recursive
function.

Instead, the Y-combinator was invented -- a lamnda expression that
enable you to make a recursive function essentially by passing the
functiion as an argument to itself.  Receiving itself as a parameter, it
was capable of calling its parameter, which was itself.

Have fun deciphering the code.  It took me while, too, way back in the
60's.

-- hendrik