Hi everybody,

MIT P is about to print the second edition of How to Design Programs and it is
supposed to appear later this spring.  We have therefore moved the on-line
edition of HtDP/2e to htdp.org <http://htdp.org/>, and I encourage you all to
quickly check the new web site. The first edition is still reachable through
this site too.

To retain a single consistent view of the book, the version on my old web page
(http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/index.html
<http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/index.html>) will disappear toward
the end of this semester. We apologize for any inconvenience for the necessary
re-direction in your teaching materials. Here are some hints to make this a
relatively smooth transition:

        In my own web pages for NEU courses, I use this constant to specify the
base path:

                (define HTDP "http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/
<http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/>“)

        So if I want to refer to exercise 1 in section 1 of chapter 1 of part
I, I write

                (string-append HTDP "#%28counter._%28exercise._arith-n%29%29
<http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/part_one.html#(counter._(exercise._arith-n))>”)

        in the source file. (Well I have functions that set this all up in
scribble files but many of you may not use scribble for course pages.)

        To change ALL references into the text book from CCS NEU to HtDP.ORG
<http://htdp.org/>, I merely change the first definition to:

                (define HTDP "http://www.htdp.org/2018-01-06/Book/
<http://www.htdp.org/2018-01-06/Book/>“)

        This will change all links to Parts, Chapters, Sections, and Exercises
in all of my course pages.

        Small corrections to the second edition will appear at this site, too,
suitably marked so readers can tell.

No need to panic now. We know that you have already prepared the spring
semester or that you’re in the middle of the school year. But we want to give
you ample warning that this switch will happen by the end of this academic
year.

- -

Having said this, when we pull the plug on my personal HtDP/2e site, we will
also launch the effort to rewrite the second edition into a third one. Once
again we have permission from our MIT P editor, Marie Lufkin Lee, to host the
new draft on line. The text will appear at my new web page:

 http://felleisen.org/matthias/ <http://felleisen.org/matthias/>
 see HtDP/3e

I sincerely hope that fixing the second edition (as specified at the site)
won’t take the 15 years that it took to write the second edition :-)

— Matthias