FWIW Stephen, I have another package called `lux` that tries to be a
"professional" big-bang and it supports stuff like this.

The documentation is here: http://docs.racket-lang.org/lux/index.html

But I suggest checking out the two examples first.

val-demo ---
https://github.com/jeapostrophe/lux/blob/master/examples/val-demo.rkt
--- Shows how you can use 2htdp/image or pict to make your scenes and
it shows how the generic event-handler receives key events from
racket/gui.

spin --- https://github.com/jeapostrophe/lux/blob/master/examples/spin.rkt
--- is a little more complicated and shows how you get mouse event
structures as well as demonstrating that lux can be used recursively.
[For comparison, if you call big-bang inside a big-bang handler, then
a new window opens up. In lux, the same window is taken over and the
result from the inner call is returned to the call site. This can be
used to make things like pause screens, menus, and so on fairly
nicely.]

Jay

--
-=[     Jay McCarthy               http://jeapostrophe.github.io    ]=-