On 20/02/18 07:21, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> If someone is looking for a challenging and interesting `#lang` project...
>
> Build a `#lang rust`.  https://www.rust-lang.org/

+1

> You might first implement mapping the non-checking semantics to Racket
> code (so that you can run valid Rust programs), and then later try to
> implement all the checking (for detecting invalid Rust programs).
>
> Your big test would be bootstrapping the real Rust compiler.  (You use
> your Racket-based Rust language implementation to run the real Rust
> compiler, to have the real compiler compile itself.)

This would be awesome but certainly a multi-year project for a single
person I think.

Also, there might be some trouble on understanding the rust grammar. I
have in the past toyed with the idea of building a rust gcc frontend
(previous attempts failed) but due to the lack of a formal grammar I
gave up. Things might have changed since mid-2017 but I doubt it.

One alternative to proceed without a formal grammar would be maybe to
somehow use libparse from the rust project to parse the code and then
use FFI to bring the structures into Racket.

However, as a C/C++ replacement I love what Rust stands for so +1
(again!) for this project.

--
Paulo Matos