Is it possible to stack two (or more) canvases on top of one another. I'm
working on a chess app and I don't want to draw individual squares under
each piece. I would prefer to have a board canvas that doesn't change and a
transparent canvas with pieces overlaying it. Is that possible? Is that the
right approach or are there better alternatives?

Thanks,
David