> On Mar 27, 2018, at 11:58 PM, Justin Pombrio <justinlpomb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Matthias: the algorithm I was thinking of is the Macro-by-Example algorithm
> that Ryan pointed out, which is neither of yours. Decompose the environment
> at the outer ellipsis. I take back my claim that it's the most obvious
> algorithm, though.

Well I sat with Eugene for most of the weekend in 87 when he implemented
Mitch’s suggestions in extend-syntax. I surely misremembered the details, but
it is easy to reconstruct that there are several alternatives of mapping at
such points and that the algorithm has to proceed compositionally. The rest is
a question of which of the alternatives you prefer.

Eugene picked one that night, Racket picked a different one a few decades
later. I don’t see why one is better than the other.

— Matthias