On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 9:53:45 PM UTC-4, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> A bonus of reading old Smalltalk-80 stuff is that you get exposed to a
> bit of some of the best and most optimistic visionary thinking about
> information technology, when people had grand ideas for how computers
> could elevate everyone (spoilers: it wasn't about a couple billionaire
> 'social' dotcom founders seizing power over everyone, and CS students
> weren't thinking like startup MBAs).

Amen to that.  For fun I'd love to see Alan Kay play with DrRacket, then
pick his brain.  I run into clumps of Smalltalk people in unexpected
places, such as at SIGGRAPH.  For your Smalltalk-in-Racket implementation
idea, the key is how you start out the project.  If it starts right, it can
grow naturally.  Smalltalk and the Lisp Machine had some similarities.  I
don't see why there couldn't be a Racket Machine.  People could live in it
the way people live in Emacs and get so much done and have their ice cream
too.