Please see syndicate-lang. And yes, the language is very much alive and
maintained. You may want to look at

 https://www2.ccs.neu.edu/racket/pubs/#dissertation-garnock-jones

and read the chapter on examples. Tony has written a bunch of programs in
Syndicate, including a DNS proxy server, a full TCP stack, a Window manager,
and a bunch more. SamC is adding a type system as I type :).

And not too long from now, it will also run much faster. Or so Tony says. But
it is an evolving language tha also serves as a research vehicle for some.

— Matthias