(Actually, I bought the book and was just working through the Prologue
today. And didn't turn the page, it appears. )

Thank you for your response. More specifically, what I was referring to was
a response that has gotten a fair bit of circulation given by Gerry Sussman
when asked why SICP was no longer taught by him at MIT. You can read more
about this here:

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/5335

Personally, I have tried to learn programming (self-teaching) via how, as
you state, 99.9% of texts teach it - syntax and hacking first, and I have
just about given up. I find it pure torture (and I found working through
the Prologue torture, but was expecting that since I believe that was your
point). Hence, I purchased your book (2e) and also SICP.

However, since finding that quote by Sussman I feel more lost than ever. He
seems to be stating that what made SICP so relevant 20 to 30 years ago has
gone. So it is great I have an author of HtDP in this thread!

I understand programming by poking as the process of researching APIs and
hacking together libraries until something works, similar in essence I
think to the Prologue of HtDP. And perhaps this hacking and sewing together
and ensuing code bloat is aided by ever expanding hardware capacities in
storage and speed, I don't know.

So, Matthias, if you are still there, how do you understand Sussman's
reasoning for quitting SICP (other than he was bored with it)? Is he right?
How does HtDP stand up in the face of Sussman's perspective?  Does one need
the lessons of HtDP if all one is doing is stitching together libraries and
APIs?