On 8/31/18 4:28 AM, Greg Hendershott wrote:
A general trick for optional values with match is something like (or
pat (app (λ _ default-value) pat)). But that doesn't work for
hash-table which uses [pat path] for each mapping. (At least I
couldn't see how.)

Here's _a_ way you could write this as a match pattern:

(define ((hash-has-keys? keys) ht)
  (for/and ([key (in-list keys)])
    (hash-has-key? ht key)))

(match (hash 'a 0 'b 1)
  [(? (hash-has-keys? '(a b))
      (app (λ (ht)
             (values (hash-ref ht 'a)
                     (hash-ref ht 'b)
                     (hash-ref ht 'c 'c-default)))
           a b c))
   (list a b c)])

[I really don't like the hash-has-keys? business, and the resulting
double lookups. But (=> id) is available only to bodies, and
`failure-cont` didn't work for me. So I don't know how else to handle
the case where it should _not_ match.]

Obviously the above is tedious. But, it works solely in term of match
patterns, and it could be the kind of syntax that a
define-match-expander emits for some nicer surface syntax. Where each
mapping is either required [k v], or, optional and you must supply a
default [k v d]. [....]

Here's an implementation:

  (define not-found (gensym 'not-found))
  (define (not-not-found? x) (not (eq? x not-found)))

  (begin-for-syntax
    (define-syntax-class kvpat
      #:description "hash key-value pattern"
      ;; Note: be careful to evaluate key expr only once!
      (pattern [key:expr value-pattern]
               #:with pattern
               #'(app (lambda (h) (hash-ref h key not-found))
                      (? not-not-found? value-pattern)))
      (pattern [key:expr value-pattern default:expr]
               #:with pattern
               #'(app (lambda (h) (hash-ref h key (lambda () default)))
                      value-pattern))))

  (define-match-expander hash-table*
    (syntax-parser
      [(_ kv:kvpat ...)