*Resurrecting an old thread.*

I recently tried to see what would happen if I changed the
interactions-canvas% and definitions-canvas% to be the following:

  (define interactions-canvas%
    (class editor-canvas%
      (init [style '(transparent)])
      (super-new (style (cons 'auto-hscroll style)))
      (inherit set-scroll-via-copy)
      (set-scroll-via-copy #t)))

  (define definitions-canvas%
    (class editor-canvas%
      (init [style '(transparent)])
      (super-new (style (cons 'auto-hscroll style)))
      (inherit set-scroll-via-copy)
      (set-scroll-via-copy #t)))

This seemed to work well for entering text into a blank file, but opening
another file still showed the same lag. I was able to remove this last bit
of lag by unchecking Edit / Preferences / Editing / General Editing / Color
syntax interactively. I can now enter text into Dr Racket as smoothly as I
can in most other text editors and even the example 'transparent
editor-canvas% text editor. Background expansion can even be enabled
without incurring a per-character-entered performance hit.

I do not know why setting 'transparent helps the performance of
editor-canvas%. Likewise, I do not know why interactive syntax coloring
also incurs a noticeable performance hit. As a reminder, this is mostly a
problem for large resolution displays. Shrinking the DrRacket window will
improve performance at the cost of not being able to see as much of the
text.

If anyone has advice for why this might be so, or how to better profile
this code to determine what can be improved, please share. I do not think
my current modifications merit a PR to the DrRacket repository.

Evan