On 11/23/2018 4:38 PM, Philip McGrath wrote:
I'm not familiar with Ruby, so this is just some general information.

The Racket web server already supports concurrency with its built-in green threads, so handling one request won't block the concurrent handling of another. (Not all languages' built-in web servers do this; I don't know about Ruby in particular).

There isn't built-in support for parallelism, i.e. for taking advantage of multiple processor cores. This isn't built in, and I don't personally need this (my server only has two cores, and it runs a database and other processes in addition to Racket). However, it is probably possible to recreate the architecture you describe.

Essentially you would be running multiple instances of your application behind a load-balancer. If you want to use nginx as a load balancer, that's out of the equation; implementing a load-balancer in Racket would certainly be possible but probably more work. Extra-linguistically, you could just create a few systemd services or similar to run several totally separate Racket instances. Within Racket, you would want to build on "places." You can have N worker places running N instances of your application on N OS-level threads, plus a master place to control them. A mechanism for gracefully stopping the Racket web server is built in (see serve/launch/wait <https://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server-internal/web-server.html#(def._((lib._web-server%2Fservlet-dispatch..rkt)._serve%2Flaunch%2Fwait))>). Reloading isn't built in, but I've heard good things about the "reloadable" package (https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/reloadable), which should let you implement it if needed.

While I only run one instance of our application, I do use places to redirect HTTP to HTTPS.

One caveat is that all of this assumes that, if you are using continuations at all, you are using serializable continuations with `#lang web-server`. Making places work well with native continuations would probably be a lot of work, and it would probably be better to build that functionality into the Racket web server than to try to fake it as a client.

-Philip

Just a comment:

Multiple (identical) server instances running on the same machine can listen for connections on the same network port - an incoming client call will be connected to only one of them.  You only need to use different ports when services are not interchangeable [i.e. it matters which one you are talking to].

Process parallelism, in effect, can give you automatic connection load balancing on a single machine.  Using a separate load balancer in front technically is overkill for such situations, but it is a good design if you want to preserve the option to relocate your services to different machines.

George