Mostly that it's a function of the context, not the program, whether it is
to be treated as a daemon or not. But there's also a bunch of stuff to do
with whether the process is/should be a session leader or not, which is
again something the program itself shouldn't be making decisions about. djb
writes a bit about this topic here:
https://cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html#fghack . The systemd people
even seem to agree (calling a non-backgrounding daemon a "new-style
daemon"), at least as far as non-backgrounding goes:
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/daemon.html#New-Style%20Daemons

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 at 15:19, Brian Adkins <lojicdot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why do you feel using daemon(3) is not a great
> idea? I'm not disagreeing, just curious about your reasons.
>
> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 5:54:42 AM UTC-5, Tony Garnock-Jones
> wrote:
>>
>> IMO using daemon(3) is not a great idea. Instead, I like to use djb's
>> daemontools https://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html to supervise my processes.
>> For example, see the `README` and the `run` script in
>> https://github.com/tonyg/racket-reloadable-example.
>>
>> Tony
>>

>>> --

Tony Garnock-Jones