Thanks Matthew, I think I can adapt that approach. As written, it's not
quite what I had in mind because it disallows foo.bar in an expression
context, before I get a chance to transform it to (bar foo). So I am going
to try to (expand #'(module a racket . EXPRS)) and then search the
fully-expanded tree for define-values, let-values, and maybe a few others
that I'm forgetting. This raises some further questions that I can probably
answer on my own. I will update for posterity once I figure out:

1) I am guessing that I will want to discard the expanded syntax object and
return the original one in order to make keep the Macro Stepper working
normally.

2) I am not sure what I am going to do if the expansion fails. Probably
swallow the error, return the unexpanded syntax object, and let it fail
again.