On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:31 AM BD1 a <acatern...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I may be out of place here as I am a total beginner to programing.

I think hearing from an absolute newcomer is very useful: ignorance is a
non-renewable resource!

Respectfully, I would also concentrate on Rackets web presence.  If I was
> to google any of the popular languages, I would find the answer to these
> questions in spades, with real life applications, and examples.  You can
> also compare Pythons website to Rackets.   Pythons website seems to be
> design more for advertising Python.  If I go to the Pythons web page there
> is a section “use Python for” in it, it has various topics such as web
> development, GUI development, scientific and numeric, with all the
> applicable packages needed.   If you knew nothing about Python, but where
> interested in using it for web development, it easy to see where to go,
> etc.

I would be interested to hear more about your experience with Racket's web
site, because it tries to include these things, but evidently it did not
succeed in communicating them to you. When I go to https://racket-lang.org/
and scroll down about one screen's worth, I see short, runable examples of
a few flashy features including web development and GUI applications
specifically, with links to tutorials and documentation.

Are you looking for more or different material, or was it not clear to you
from the presentation on the website that these examples were what you are
looking for? I guess I can see some potential issues for discoverability:
you have to click to show any prose, even a heading (rather than just
code), and introducing the examples with "Make your dream language, or use
one of the dozens already available, including these —" may not make it
obvious what kind of examples these are, especially to non-Racketeers, and
especially since it's possible to write GUI and web programs in Racket
without using a special #lang.