George Neuner wrote on 1/7/19 4:49 PM:
Though I mostly agree with you, your "advice" does have its uses:

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/object-reorientation-generic-functions.html
    in particular see the sections on method combinations.

Thank you; I should've looked it up before incorrectly assuming that you were talking about "advice" from some Lisps.  I initially thought the original question was getting at something like `defadvice`:

https://franz.com/support/documentation/10.1/doc/operators/excl/defadvice.htm
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Porting-old-advice.html

Part of what bugs me is violation of expectations:  In Racket, when I see or use a procedure reference in some code, I expect to get a particular procedure implementation.  (Given a straightforward understanding of `#lang`, `require`, scoping, and syntax extension.)  If that's instead documented to be a generic, then my expectations change to the implementation I receive (probably) performing an analogous operation.  (Actually, in Racket, I'd say generics and classes are usually used only when overriding is definitely happening.)