On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:59 PM Matthew Flatt <mfl...@cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> At Wed, 27 Feb 2019 12:51:58 -0500, David Storrs wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:34 PM Matthew Flatt <mfl...@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> > > The line breaks are added by a browser, because `verbatim` doesn't
> > > generate anything that disables line wrapping.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that this is not coming from my browser, but is
> > instead down to the pixel-based max-width in manual.css
>
> I agree that `max-width` triggers line breaks here earlier than they
> might happen if left to the defaults of your browser (assuming that you
> browser window is wide enough). I don't think the use of px causes the
> `max-width` specification to work other than as intended, though,
> particularly since the font sizes are also px.

I suppose I said that badly.  Yes, I agree that having max-width in
pixels works as intended, but I think the intent is wrong.  Content
flow should be left to the browser unless there's a specific reason
not to.  As such, I think it would be better if the CSS defined
left/right margin widths in rems but did not specify a pixel width.
Having a max-width of 970px on a 5120×2880 monitor with your browser
fullscreened looks silly.  If code gets flowed awkwardly when the
window is too narrow, that's on the user.

Separately, it would also be good to move away from a table-based
layout; among other reasons, they are hell on screenreaders and
scrapers.  Having the HTML be purely semantic and the presentation
defined by the CSS is a better approach, and would also facilitate
building tools that scrape / embed the docs.

> Maybe the issue is that paragraphs in general wrap too narrowly for
> your purposes, in which case the solution is probably to use a
> different overall document style. But I had assumed that you wanted
> `verbatim` to stretch beyond the normal text-column bounds, possibly
> within Racket documentation where the basic style is imposed, in which
> case it's a question of `verbatim` turning off line wrapping. Is that
> not right?

Turning off line wrapping would definitely be good, yes.