this is pretty cool Greg! I, too, had a brief excursion into documenting
with Org. It still needs work, but here is an org-source
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vkz/multi/master/make-readme.org> that
can be executed to generate the REAME.org
<https://github.com/vkz/multi/blob/master/README.org> (or whatever other
format you need) suitable for Github. Some brownie points of this approach:

- extracts reference documentation from Elisp docstrings (your code does
something similar me thinks),
- lets you interleave whatever text or examples you want,
- collects all examples in the same file and runs them in ERT deftest,
- code that does all that leaves in source blocks in the same Org-file, so
basically everything is just one file.

Curiously, this could be a pan-lingua approach, suitable for any proglang,
not just Elisp. Maybe with some work, perhaps with some extra work if your
language doesn't play nicely with Org Babel or whatever. Org is amazing. I
think it should marry Scribble and procreate ))