The issue is that #'arg will always be a syntax object. An identifier is a
kind of syntax object, so it makes sense to test (identifier? #’arg).
However, (symbol? #’arg) and (string? #’arg) will always fail.

Suppose then that you invoke the macro with "1" as the operand, it would
fail every case in syntax-case, so syntax-case throws a bad syntax (because
a syntax transformation must be total), causing the error that you saw.

If you insist on using syntax-case, then try this:

(define-syntax (foo stx)
  (syntax-case stx ()
    [(_ arg) (identifier? #'arg) #'1]
    [(_ arg) (string? (syntax->datum #'arg)) #'2]
    [(_ arg) (number? (syntax->datum #'arg)) #'3]
    [(_ (quote* x)) (and (free-identifier=? #'quote* #'quote)
                         (symbol? (syntax->datum #'x))) #'4]
    [(_ _) #'5]))

(foo a) ;=> 1
(foo "a") ;=> 2
(foo 10) ;=> 3
(foo 'a) ;=> 4
(foo (bar x)) ;=> 5

A better way though is to use syntax-parse.

(require (for-syntax syntax/parse))

(define-syntax (foo stx)
  (syntax-parse stx
    #:literals (quote)