Well! While I am sure that everyone at RacketCon has already discussed this to
death, and I’m sure there has been plenty of support to counterbalance the
tomato-throwing, let me be the first to say something positive on the mailing
list so the optics from here aren’t so gloomy: I find this idea extremely
exciting. :) It’s a surprise, for sure, but I will not be doing any panicking.

I don’t have any significant commentary right now, given how vague and
open-ended the direction still is, but I am excited by the idea of continuing
the Honu line of research. I, too, don’t mind parentheses, but after straddling
the Haskell and Racket communities for a few years, I’ll happily defend the
readability advantages of a more irregular syntax. I keep coming back to Racket
because nothing lets me extend the language like Racket does, but if I could
get that kind of flexibility and robustness without s-expressions? It sounds
hard to achieve, but if Racket can pull it off (and I am confident Racket can
do it as well as anyone), I doubt I would do much looking back.

If anything, the one thing I’m disappointed about is that I could not be at
RacketCon this year, as it seems like it’s been a bad one to miss, but it’s
been fun to follow everything as best as I can from the sidelines. Many thanks
to everyone who’s had a part in the organizing, speaking, recording, and
streaming! I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Alexis