Konrad Hinsen writes:

> Hi Chris,

Hi Konrad,

> While I understand the general goal you are aiming at, it isn't quite
> clear to me who you are trying to protect against who. There's a wide
> spectrum of people involved, ranging from language designers via library
> developers and application developers to end users. Who is going to
> define your capabilities? Who is supposed to be protected by them?  And
> who is the potential villain whose evil doings need to be checked for?
>
> Your example doesn't help much with this, as playing a game of solitaire
> from the Racket REPL is not a relevant real-life scenario. The typical
> solitaire player is an end-user who double-clicks an application and
> wouldn't understand the implications of granting access to a single
> window.

Of course I don't expect someone to launch solitaire from the REPL, and
indeed there are UX considerations once we move from the REPL to actual
program launch.  There *are* paradigms for that that have been
developed, and intuitive behaviors such as drag and drop compose nicely
with a capability discipline.

However, I am talking to language people about how we give authority to
parts of our programs, so something that works at the REPL can help us
think more at this level of abstraction, aside from the other ones :)