First I’d like to express my immense gratitude for your contributions to the
Racket community. Beautiful Racket greatly enhanced my understanding of
language-oriented programming and macros in general.

TL;DR: Racket is the most inspiring language and ecosystem I have ever used. I
use it not just because it does the job, but because I’m having an absolute
blast writing code in it, something that hasn’t happened to me since uhh.. x86
macro-assembler, or Pascal. All it needs is a simpler, localized, more
practical intro page for existing programmers, and lots of promotion. Oh and
maybe more speed, but it’s fast enough for my use.

  Now, the wall of text:

  From my perspective the only barrier of entry to Racket is the documentation:
it is very clear, detailed and well-written, but to certain of my students they
can also be quite obscure, especially to those who don’t have comp-sci
background and those whose first language isn’t English. The best example is
the few pages about continuations. For quite a while I could not understand
what they were about from the Racket docs, and it took quite a bit of web
crawling to find meaningful examples of their use. I also found the pages about
macros lacking simple examples, and it’s not until Beautiful Racket that I
finally found very basic uses.

 My opinion doesn’t count for much, but from my experience and the feedback I
got from my employees and students, the main Racket site and docs is missing a
very basic presentation of the language. Something really clear, concise, that
does not use comp-sci or advanced vocabulary. The best example that comes to my
mind is say, Go’s tour pages - in 20 languages. I understand there is Matthew’s
Quick Introduction on the main page, but somehow I’m imagining a smaller,
quicker ‘batteries included’, practical intro, for programmers familiar with
other languages :

1) how to read/write from/to a file
2) how to display text on the screen
3) how to use conditionals and loops
4) how to write a function
5) how to compile functions into modules

  The hyperpolyglot.org/lisp ultra concise, parallel presentation of languages
helped me more than once make sense of a new language. If only Racket had
something similar for say, C, Java, Python and Racket. That way Python and Java
programmers (perhaps Racket’s main target in the production env) could get a
very quick sense of how things work.

  Localisation would also go a long way towards bringing Racket to the world.
I’m currently in France and Racket is completely unknown here, yet sorely
needed when I see the slow-motion Java disaster going on in every engineering
school and every company.

Dex