On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:42:10PM -0400, Greg Hendershott wrote:

> This makes me wonder if some experienced programmers dislike simple
> syntax, not just because it is unfamiliar to them, but also because it
> is too simple to serve as an effective in-group filter. If humanities
> students are comfortable, we must raise the barrier to entry. ;)

the real question is, "What is simple syntax?"
or, "Who or what finds it simple?"

Human beings find natural language really simple to use.

Computer programs find natural language really hard, and like recursion
and parentheses.

Natural languages use a wide variety of syntaactic forms and even have
practical limits on nesting depth.

-- hendrik