On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 08:48:20AM +0100, James Geddes wrote:

> In general, I now have the sense that there are OS-specific package managers,
> and there are language-specific package managers, and they do not play nicely
> with each other.

This is a real problem.  It's not clear what the solution needs to be.
Probably some recognition and adaptation on both sides.  It's
complicated by the number of OS-dependent and language-dependent
installers.

It will probably take a number of cooperative iterations of proposals,
comments, amd try-outs with several OS's and several languages to get
any kind of consensus solution.

-- hendrik