> > generalization of modal user interfaces that has a "language-oriented
> > programming" flavor.
> Applying traditionally-sexp structural-based editing to non-sexp
> languages seems relevant to non-sexp Racket2 syntax (e.g., Honu), and
> other non-sexp languages.

The generalization I'm referring to there is actually about Vim-style modal
interfaces -- a totally separate idea unrelated to language syntax. The
generalization you're talking about is intriguing as well, and I recently
learned about this library <https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter>
which could probably be leveraged to get language-agnostic structural
editing.

There was also some work on DrRacket (nee DrScheme):
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/plt/software/divascheme/

Divascheme looks great! The interface in symex.el is really similar to it,
as a matter of fact (which may be because they are both similar to Vim...).
If there are any features here that you miss and would like to see in
Emacs, I'm happy to look into adding it to symex since it seems like they
have a similar conceptual approach.

In addition to deriving structural editing from language descriptions,
> there's also opportunity for DSL/macros/learning additional
> language-sensitive structural transformations (I couldn't see whether
> symex.el tackles these).

Not at the moment. Symex operates at the syntactic level of the code and
not the semantic level, so only syntactic transformations are possible for
now. Xah Lee (a prolific and occasionally iconoclastic Emacs blogger) also
talks about some semantic-level transformations here
<http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/why_i_despise_paredit.html> -- it would be
great to have such functionality at some point, and again, maybe
tree-sitter or LSP <https://langserver.org/> can help with this.