On 8/14/19 2:57 PM, tbrooke wrote:
There has been some discussion about Racket on Jupyter. nextJournal is a fairly new project for hosted notebooks that is written in Clojure and has support for Clojure as well as several other languages. In addition to Clojure they have templates for Julia,  Haskell, and Scala and they support Bash which should allow for installation of almost anything including Racket. They do have a free level and some paid levels.

I have no relationship with them other than asking about Racket support and Martin with nextJournal has been helping me. He is apparently stuck and asked if I knew of someone that could help. Here is a link to what he has done so far: https://nextjournal.com/nextjournal/racket-environment <https://nextjournal.com/nextjournal/racket-environment>

Can anyone help with this ?

The "jupyter run" command seems to just send the entire contents of the file to the kernel to evaluate. Not just the code parts, the entire JSON document. So the Racket kernel reads the JSON document as an S-expression (!), tries to evaluate it, and errors because of a comma (unquote in Racket) outside of quasiquote.

(Wow.)

I've found other people having similar problems:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56039870/how-to-use-jupyter-run-to-call-a-jupyter-notebook-on-local (and other question linked from comment)

On the other hand, the docs for "jupyter-run", such as I've found, seem to suggest that you're supposed to be able to run them on notebooks, not plain source files.

  https://pythonhosted.org/jupyter_runner/

So I'm confused.

In any case, to test whether the Racket kernel is working, I would suggest either "jupyter notebook /PATH/TO/iracket/examples/getting-started.ipynb" or "jupyter console --kernel=racket" and try evaluating some things interactively.

Ryan