I tried the handin-server on a Windows computer and it worked just
fine.  Now I'm trying it on a headless UNIX system and, upon first run,
I got:

$ racket -l handin-server
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Gtk initialization failed for display ":0"
  context...:
   "/usr/share/racket/pkgs/gui-lib/mred/private/wx/gtk/queue.rkt": [running
body]
   temp37_0
   for-loop
   run-module-instance!125
   for-loop
   [repeats 1 more time]
   run-module-instance!125
   for-loop
   [repeats 1 more time]
   run-module-instance!125
   do-dynamic-require5
   "/usr/share/racket/pkgs/gui-lib/mred/private/wx/platform.rkt": [running body]
   temp37_0
   for-loop
   run-module-instance!125
   for-loop

Then taking a peek at

  ~/.racket/7.2/pkgs/handin/handin-server/main.rkt

I saw

  (require ...
         ;; workaround for a confusing problem: without this, the gui
         ;; gets initialized in a handler (since checks use it, and
         ;; they're being required dynamically), and further handlers
         ;; will fail with "queue-callback: eventspace is shutdown",
         ;; requiring it here makes it avoids killing the eventspace
         racket/gui/base)

Just to see what happens, I commented out the racket/gui/base
requirement and the server ran, but the comment says there'll be a
confusing problem.

$ racket -l handin-server
[-|2019-08-17T01:52:22] *** embedded web server started
[-|2019-08-17T01:52:22] Cleaning up all submission directories
[-|2019-08-17T01:52:22] *** handin server started on port 7979

Why does the server need anything GUI-related?  How do you run this
server in production?