Thanks Dan, I am learning a fair bit today: a quoted number evaluates to
its unquoted value, and the racket/format templates are available outside
format (I had forgotten that).

I'm still trying to figure out why my original, terrible macro behaved the
way it did, but I suspect I'll never know. I would have wasted a lot of
time on that awful construct. I appreciate your help, many thanks.