Thanks Phillip for providing a very thorough example. There is much to
digest in there, and some novel ideas I didn't know about (attaching values
as attributes to syntax).

What wasted a lot of time for me is that, despite the macroexpander's
results, the macro works as expected in the REPL. If you paste my original
macro into DrRacket, run it, then type '(hex a)' into the REPL you get the
expected result. In this case, '(expand (hex a))' doesn't help. This is
possibly due to something like a combination of phases, environments and
top-level bindings, but I couldn't figure it out.

In any case, thanks again. I will learn from your example ideas that I hope
will help future me.