> different tools tend to be considered unproven or inadequate.

To add color: A prior supervisor said  "if it's famous, we should use it."
Adoption is often confused with maturity. Corporate politics follows high
school rules more than we'd like to admit.

> there seems to be what has the appearance of vegan/Crossfitter true-believing
> (and also evangelizing [...]

I'll agree to the point of hardening your language: There are evangelists in
web development.

If you pay close attention at An Event Apart conferences (for example), you can
see the genesis of some of that since web development leaders tend to speak
there. If you want high search rankings, drop a key phrase that sounds like a
new CS concept that others don't know, but should. The phrase is just a string
of words that currently appear only on the speakers' channels and blogs.
Evangelism is an adaptation to not knowing how search engine ranking algorithms
work: If you want to appear among the first results, just present your work
using language that matches nothing else.

All you have to do then is frame your content under the narrative of "always
learning" and people will become dependent on your content and supplemental
materials--that is, the majority of people who do not think to derive what they
just heard from what they already know. This is why we have so many new
definitions for common words referencing old concepts. It's also one reason why
the resulting links/comments create the appearance of maturity. It's a powerful
cycle.

> In that time, we hardly built any of our own boats and airplanes, which, in
> hindsight, might've been a more expedient way to reach those other people's
> boats. [...]
> a working adult probably won't be much interested in pursuing it themselves,
> unless it's a keyword they think is currently/imminently in-demand on resumes.

I agree, but don't entirely relate.

I'm a working adult, and I am taking a self-funded sabbatical primarily to
learn Racket and experiment with ways to make money with it. To your point, I
do include AWS/InfoSec study as a contingency plan if I need to earn more money
than I am earning with Racket and do something other than front-end development
for the rest of my life.

But to be clear: I started using Racket because I was tired and stagnant. I was
fine working with the messy code that defined the software rat race, but I was
not fine with my education dwindling away to make room for hyper-specialized
knowledge that made me more useful for fewer things. Racket's ecosystem and
community made my degree matter. There are ways to write programs to handle the
gaps I saw form in well-adopted tools. I'm surrounded by people who are smarter
than me. I'm wrong about things again. It's wonderful. Part of me knows that if
Racket gets famous a lot of this experience is likely to go away, so I want to
maximize my time being one of the dumb ones. It's good for me, and I prefer
working to earn my own growth than a stockholder's growth.

All this to say that yes, as a working adult I always have to entertain enough
of the market's interests to stay viable for a job. But that does not mean I
equate my viability for bigger jobs as career satisfaction. If I'm not growing
as a person--except in my midsection at a desk--it's hard for me to commit to a
job. This is why I consider learning Racket as part of my career, even if I
don't make nearly as much money with it. I just can't be happy with a routine
where I learn nothing interesting.

Now, by "our own boats and airplanes" Are you referring to Racket2? If it
counts for anything, nothing about Racket2 I've seen so far appeals to why I'm
here. Maybe I'm just not in the target audience, but I'd like to hear more
about what other means of outreach are in the cards that can speak to the
intellectual habits of the average programmer/decision maker.

~slg