At Tue, 12 Nov 2019 22:47:33 +0000, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> Is there
> some reason configure can't test `enable_origtree`? Is there some time the
> build system is supposed to build in-tree even without --enable-origtree?
> If so, could it test `"${prefix}" = "NONE" -o "${enable_origtree}" = "yes"`?

Unless I misremember, the `--enable-origtree` and `--prefix=` options
are supposed to work together to create an installation at the given
prefix that has the same directory structure as an in-place build. So,
if I understand your question, that's why `--enable-origtree` doesn't
make `prefix` ignored.

Maybe the solution is to add `--disable-prefix` and have the top-level
makefile use that along with `--enable-origtree`?