On Nov 27, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Darth Vadør wrote:

> I am having the same problem, and I am pretty sure that this is because the
> new DMG uses the novel APFS format, which is not readable by our old HFS
> computers.
> As far as I know, HFS DMGs can be opened on new APFS Macs; would it be
> possible / a good idea to keep distributing Racket on an HFS DMG for our
> dinosaur machines?

APFS has a number of new and improved features but I don't think any of them
are really important for a software distribution archive.  Note that macOS does
have zip built in.  As I understand it, the reason for dmg as the official
distribution format is just that it is supposed to have superior integrity
checking compared to zip.

> Long live 10-year-old Macs

Indeed.  The 2009 Mac Pro which I am using right now is among most likely
machines to be in use by the people who my company is developing software for
in Racket.  This Mac Pro, running El Capitan (macOS 10.11), is not just a
workable machine.  It's still a powerful machine by todays standards.  El
Capitan is the highest OS officially supported but it can run High Sierra
(10.13) just fine in VMWare.  Having said that, we also need to support the
newest machines so I will probably try setting up a VM with an even newer OS or
buy whatever is the cheapest laptop that can run Catalina.  For the Mac Pro, I
am considering installing Linux and running macOS only in virtual machines.

If you want to test that the issue really is APFS then you might consider
installing a High Sierra (or possibly later) virtual machine.  High Sierra, and
up, can read APFS.