Hi Ben,

Thank you for your answer.

On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 3:29:15 AM UTC+1, Ben Greenman wrote:

> On 2/19/20, unlimitedscolobb <unlimite...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > [....]
> >
> > ;Type Checker: Type a could not be converted to a contract because it
> > contains free variables.
> > ;   in: a
> >
> > Does this mean that I can never cast to types containing type variables?
>
> Yes

Ah, okay, got it.

> > My original problem comes from playing around with eval, which returns
> > AnyValues.  Ideally, I would like to be able to retrieve the first
> returned
> >
> > value (done), and then convert it to a type variable bound by one of the
> > arguments:
> >
> > (: my-super-func (All (a) (-> (Type1 a) a)))
> > (define (my-super-func arg)
> >   (get-first-value (eval some-stuff))) ; how to cast to a ?
>
> You can ask the caller to supply a cast function that turns an Any to an
> A.

Ahaa, that's a clever idea!

But depending on what you want to cast to, occurrence typing may be
> more convenient. For example:
>
> #lang typed/racket
>
> (: my-super-func (All (a) (-> (-> Any) (-> Any Boolean : #:+ a) a)))
> (define (my-super-func get-v check-v)
>   (assert (get-v) check-v))
>
> (ann (my-super-func (lambda () 42) exact-integer?) Integer);
> ;; 42
> (ann (my-super-func (lambda () '(A)) (lambda (x) (and (list? x)
> (andmap symbol? x)))) (Listof Symbol))
> ;; '(A)

This does look quite a bit like lifting contracts to types, very nice.

Thank you very much for clarifying and giving a detailed example.  I'm
coming over from Haskell, so I'm still in process of wrapping my head
around types and contracts in Racket.

-
Sergiu