At Thu, 19 Mar 2020 11:46:44 -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> What I thought was the more "Racket'y way" would be to store it as
> abstract data that then could be rendered to the appropriate style
> (that's what BibTeX and everything else does).

Well, perhaps the Rackety way is to store it as abstract *code*. That
abstraction is what the `make-bib`, etc., functions are meant to be.

But you're absolutely right that the language of `make-bib` should be
more extensible. Currently, `location` is clearest the extension point,
but there are still just a bunch of predefined locations, instead of a
protocol for adding new ones. And `location` by itself is probably not
enough extensibility.

And you're right that the way that language renders to references and a
bibliography needs to be configurable and extensible. You can pick
among a few styles in `define-cite`, but that mostly just controls the
way references render, not the bibliography.

You could build something new and better --- or maybe just different
and more applicable to your case. But if you're interested in improving
and generalizing `scribble/scriblib`, I'd be happy to work with you on
it.