I'm not clear on what `with-cache` is doing in this setup, but it seems
like a potential source of errors. If the goal is to automatically use
`'replay` if the log file exists and `'record` otherwise, why not do the
following?

    (make-log-based-eval the-log-file (if (file-exists? the-log-file)
'replay 'record))

Ryan