On 4/2/2020 1:00 PM, David Storrs wrote:
On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM George Neuner <gneun...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Windows historically placed a lot of limitations on the use of raw sockets.
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winsock/tcp-ip-raw-sockets-2
>
> There doesn't seem to be any updated information on Win10, so you might
> conclude that it has the same limitations as Win7.

Doesn't surprise me.  Fortunately, I don't need it for Windows, at
least right now.

But it is because of Windows that Racket doesn't provide raw (or Unix) sockets.  Racket tries to support all of its features across all target platforms.

> Re: ICMP, I think it should be possible to implement at least some of
> the functions (not sure about all of them) ... but it will have to be
> done via FFI.

Cool thanks.  Do you happen to know what library I should be FFI'ing
into, ideally for macOS?

Sorry, I don't know MacOS.  In Unix it would be libsocket, and if you are using GCC then glibc transitively links libsocket and re-exports the entire socket API.

George